It's all done! I think the background really helped to tie the piece together and help with the flow and composition. The seaweed itself is a bit clunky but I think I will just have to call that a learning experience and fix it for my next piece which will probably also have some seaweed. Overall, i am pretty happy with how the piece turned out and I am proud that despite it being larger than my other pieces that the project didn't drag out for too long. I love the color combination and texture that I used.
Okay, I think I am going to actually step away from the seahorse now and do the background next. I am getting to this a lot later than I anticipated but I guess I’ll just have to keep moving forward. This week, I had a bunch of other tasks for YAMM that had to get situated so some of my painting time got cut short. I am happy with the way that the fin turns out, and how the lighter blue gives the illusion of a translucent film. I think for the background, the seaweed will be a blue-green to match the undertones in the water, and hopefully that will add depth and dimension
I definitely feel myself slowing down the pace a bit. Maybe it's because I was feeling a bit more uncertain about the tail part of the seahorse because I had to alter it from what the reference for the head looked like. At this point, I like the way the animal itself is coming together, but I don’t think it clicks as a piece as a whole yet. Maybe I will end up painting in the belly, but I feel like that gets rid of my original concept. I am going to do the background before I make that kind of decision though.
I added a bit more to the background, which you can't really tell. The most obvious thing is that I began painting the seahorse. It is a very, very vibrant coral color which I think complements the ocean well but i hope that the white and more muted detailing will subdue it a little bit. Also i spent a while considering how I want to add in the seaweed, but that will come later.
I decided to keep the composition as it was and began painting the background today. I actually got farther than I thought I would and so now all of the background is at least covered in some paint. I do think I will add some more texture though. This is different from previous paintings where I start with the subject, but then getting in the crevices is always difficult so I hope this makes the process easier for me later
I spent some more time thinking today, but eventually I did settle on something. Originally I had decided to revert back to my three canvas plan, but in the last couple minutes of class, i decided it might be interesting to add two more canvases. I am still unsure about the current composition so I might rotate or adjust before I begin painting.
I am currently still brainstorming ideas for this project at the moment but hopefully by the end of the week I will have at least completed a rough sketch of what I want to do. I want to scale up a little bit this time so that it fills the space a bit better, but I am worried that I will loose the refinement that my smaller pieces sort of have. I am leaning towards making the subject of this one a seahorse, since I think it would be interesting to contort and also play with flowing seaweed surrounding it.
I am a Maggie Walker art student in Richmond, Virginia. This blog section is a little window into my art process, research, and experiences. You can follow along with my journey as you scroll.