I'm finished!! I just spray painted the whole thing white and I think it brought it all together. I still have a couple issues with the figure and the paint coat wasn't completely even, but overall i think it looks alright and I need to be done so I think this is it!
There was a bit of a gap in progress, but I have made some changes since the last post. I screwed in some loose screws that were being annoying so hopefully everything is secure now. I also added a bunch more wire and since I was out of the old wire, this wire is slightly different but its is only barely noticeable and the wire is evenly dispersed on the piece. I might add a bit more but the last big thing I want to do is paint it. I have not decided what color yet but I am pretty certain now that I will paint it.
I added wire around the figure and I feel like it works pretty well but its hard to see in the photograph. It still looks unresolved so I am probably going to add more screws and wires to create a denser web around her. I am nearly out of time so I'll have to work quickly. If I am still unsatisfied, then I might paint it in hopes of bring the sculpture together.
I covered the rest of the base with screws today. I would have liked to have more smooth variation in heights but working with two different screws and a thin base made it difficult to get a lot of different heights. currently, I am out of tall screws but I still have a bunch of short screws. I am considering adding more small screws on the base and possibly adding them on the figure too but I'm not really sure yet. Next Time, I will probably experiment will wire and decide from there if I need more screws.
I started putting on screws and I think i will need a couple more screws than I thought and I want to try and find more different sizes and maybe some shorter bolts and nails. For now I have decided to leave it white but I might paint the entire thing later. I plan on covering as much space as possible and I might also add wires over top of her.
I have finished putting plaster on my piece and I like the cohesion and how she blends into the ground. I am leaning towards painting her and if I do, it will be probably dark neutral colors. Progress is slow so I am hoping I can get a ton done next class and start adding wires and screws on as well since I am running out of time and my initial idea was to have a whole lot of stuff on top of the base figure. Overall, I am happy with how it looks right now and i hope I don't mess it up.
the dried plaster is very solid and I am happy with the rigidity and glad that nothing collapsed overnight. I finished plastering her, though I am not completely satisfied with the hand. I also began adding plaster around the base to create continuity. I am debating whether or not to paint the plaster and I also need to decide if I want another coat of the gauze to emphasize the drapes.
I have finally begun to add plaster gauze onto my piece. It is a bit lumpier and bumpier than I expected so either I will add another layer or embrace the bumpiness as texture. Right now she looks like she is wearing a body suit so next time I will finish completely plastering her.
With a short class period, not many changes were made. However, I did fix the arm and I think it looks a lot less like a noodle. I also began to more firmly secure her on the platform and add more mass to areas in the arms and legs that looked flimsy.
She is completely covered now, but i might make a few minor changes to the figure before I layer it with plaster. Overall, I'm pretty happy with the general form, but the arm is definitely too long and I am not sure how I will fix that. I also got a board to rest and attach the figure on, which I was excited about because now she is a lot easier and safer to carry. I am considering painting the plaster earthier tones once it is layered and dried so it isn't such a stark white. I will definitely play with that later when I start adding details.
I decided to change the leg and head position of the figure and luckily, since I am working with wire and newspaper, it was a simple fix. Though there isn't a lot of visible change, I made the stuffing denser and more secure, so she hopefully won't fall apart. I also added to the legs and started her arm. I still have yet to do the hands and feet so that will have to be next class. However, I have began to collect materials such as dead moss and screws for her later decorations.
Now, I am stuffing newspaper into the wire armature to fill the framework and using tape to mummify her so she stays in one piece. I am a little scared to do the hands and feet and I don't know how detailed I will be able to make them just yet. So far, the form is very crude but my plan is to layer her with plaster so she will have a more finished look before I add other objects on top of her.
Now that I have a solid idea, I have started to make the armature for my figure. Working with the wire was interesting and got be thinking in three dimensions. There are a couple small issues with the proportion, but overall I think it is a good place to begin. Choosing to depict a person will be a challenge for me but I have already passed the first hurdle.
I am a Maggie Walker art student in Richmond, Virginia. This blog section is a little window into my art process, research, and experiences. You can follow along with my journey as you scroll.